Against Me!


Well hello and welcome ladies, gentlemen and aardvarks alike! My, my, my, what a weekend that was and we have such an exciting and busy week to come. I feel that to kick off this week I should probably enlighten you all as to the events that shall come to pass very shortly.

First of all, we are back into the studio not once but twice this week! That’s right, we’re braving the graveyard recording shifts once more to soldier ahead in the studio to add some bits and pieces to our two recordings prior to any mixing and the tracks themselves should be eventually available in the next month or so.

Secondly, we are still well and truly entrenched in the confines of the rehearsal studio and shall continue to be for the foreseeable future, we’ve churned out a couple of promising new tunes and hopefully there should be plenty more in the next few weeks so we hope you’re all eagerly awaiting our next gig when we shall surely showcase a few of them for you all along with all your old favourites.

Thirdly, as you may aware of from our Facebook posts we have launched our very own Formspring account! That’s right! You can ask us any question that you desire! ANY! In fact the more wild the question’s the more wild the answers so continue to throw us all your most insane inquiries and we shall of course endeavour to answer them in a timely fashion. We're also now constantly on Twitter! A lot of "behind the scenes" footage, so keep an eye out or three.

And now onto our final subject of this blog post. As any of you who were lurking on Facebook over the course of the weekend may be aware, all of us here at Midnight Horizon took a break from our own music and decided to head on into the Metro Theatre for a gig. This gig being the Against Me show that was previously cancelled and then rescheduled.

For those of you who were not able to make the show you should all be sorely disappointed as this was one of the best, if not THE best, show’s that we’ve all seen in a long, long time (our own awesome gigs not included). What an amazing night it was.

Prior to the head liner’s kicking their set off we were delighted to discover that the two supports for the night, Sydney based Grand Fatal and Off With Their Head’s, were incredible all by themselves. Grand Fatal made such an impression on both Matt and Dan that they now have matching T-shirts as well as Matt having accosted their guitarist Graeme within the halls of the Metro. In fact, Matt even asked the poor man if he could have his beard……..it was a very impressive beard……..

Off With Their head’s were also superb with their performance and Conor was delighted to get to see one of his favourite bands and both Matt and Dan, having minimal exposure to this band thus far, were also quite impressed with their performance, both agreeing that they should further investigate the talented trio.

Oh, did we mention that our photographer Julia Trotti also tagged along to the performance? Well I apologise that I neglected to mention this. Juls herself undoubtedly had a smashing time as she was well within her element behind the camera for all three bands and I must say, some of the shots from the night were brilliant, as per usual with Julia, her work is always great!

Anyway, on with the story! So after having gotten to throw money at the merch monkeys and thoroughly enjoying both support acts we were finally eagerly awaiting the headliner. Already breaking from the norm and declining to use the poncy, typical curtain to hide behind during the intermissions Dan and Matt got to have a good sticky beak at the stage set up. Something that intrigued both of them was the unusual amount of space between the cymbals on the kit. The conclusions ranged from the absurd observation “Well Dan, maybe the drummer’s a giant, maybe that’s why he has them so far apart” right through to “I suppose he might just enjoy standing up while he performs”. It was interesting to note how close to the mark this latter observation would turn out to be.

Eventually Tom Gabel and company emerged to kick off what has to be one of the most amazing and energetic performances both on and off stage that we have all ever experienced. The pace for the night was set right from the first song and didn’t drop off at all at any point during the night. The mosh never ceased to be still and tune after tune kept right on coming from the initial outset.

Some of the highlight’s of the night for myself personally included the tracks Rice and Bread, Miami, American’s Abroad as well as the disco reminiscent Stop. Having not previously head more than a couple of albums worth of music, mainly courtesy of the numerous and lengthy road trips that Dan and myself and occasionally Conor, I was at a loss at times as to what the hell the words were but the enthusiasm that overwhelmed me when I did know the lyrics to a track more than made up for it.

This gig has to have been one of my favourites which came as quite a shock because it has been quite a while since I really enjoyed myself at a gig and was able to focus solely on the music and the act on stage. A fair comparison would be Dead Letter Circus whom I saw maybe a month ago, again at the Metro Theatre. Whilst the music was technically brilliant and the stage presence commendable I just couldn’t let myself get sucked into just the music, the poor sound quality of the night always on the edge of my mind, making it hard to enjoy myself completely.

In closing, it’s a two days after the gig itself and I’m covered in bruises, am fairly certain that I have some torn muscles, pretty sure that I’m coming down with a cold and have lumps all over but I am so ecstatic that I got to see such amazing bands all with the space of an evening that I frankly think it was well and truly worth it.

Anyway my fluffy little bunnies, Matt is off to work for the evening so I hope you all enjoy yourselves and found this quite an enlightening read.

Fin….

P.S, Boris sends his regards, he’s off in Europe somewhere for a much deserved holiday so I hope you all wish him safe travels but never fear, I have found a temporary replacement for him in the mean time. Nikoli has quite firm hands………….


Reply